Jules Watkins (of InfoVideoHero, iPhoneVideoHero, ScreenflowVideoHero and more!) went from producing and directing MTV shows like The Biggest Loser and Pimp My Ride. And while he got to travel all over the world and meet interesting people, he didn’t like his lack of control over his own schedule and income. In this podcast episode, we talk about the struggle of his “normal job” working in the television industry and how we uses his innovative and entertaining strategies to teach people how to make online courses. I like that he strives to make his online courses unique, engaging and humorous. We’ve all seen courses that are too dry and boring to continue, but Jules’ courses are just the opposite.
Jules started by creating courses around topics that he was already knowledgeable about. He then got feedback from his audience and create additional courses, which is where InfoVideoHero came from. One of the things that separates this course from others that teach you how to create an online course is that it has a live teaching component to it. You get personal access to him and his wealth of knowledge.
Like Jules, my background is in video, but I’ve also loved working on my own online courses and the many client projects that let us use video to teach and train online. It doesn’t matter if you’re an entrepreneur, company with employees or a non-profit, anyone can benefit from creating courses online. This helps you create additional streams of revenue or systematize your intellectual property for others to follow. You don’t have to just use video, but can do what Jules Watkins has done, where he creates a course that uses text, video and live teaching environment where his students can ask him live questions. To me, this is a great form of teaching, because it not only makes it easy on Jules to have the students go through content that may not change much, but also have access to him to talk about strategies that do change over the course of time. In future episodes, we’ll talk about how to best use these strategies and what tools to use.
Download The Bonus Audio: “Jules Watkins’ Tools and Resources for Creating Online Courses”
Jules Watkins’, the Info Video Hero, Bio
Jules Watkins is a former MTV and BBC TV Producer and Director who has directed global hit shows such as The Biggest Loser and Pimp My Ride.
After quitting TV four years ago, Jules has worked 100% online as an Infopreneur, coaching business owners, experts and Marketers how to leverage the power of Online Video Marketing and to how to monetise their knowledge by creating their own online courses using Video.
Learn how to create your own online course, taught by Jules Watkins. Click here to learn more.
Questions from the interview
- Tell me a little bit of your background and how you discovered creating training products.
- Why did you move out of the TV production work?
- How have you been able to transfer your tv background into your courses and training material?
- Why are creating online courses a good idea?
- Tell me about the courses you’ve created?
- What are some marketing techniques you’ve used successfully?
- How can someone beat a competitor’s course about the same topic?
- Since people are bombarded with emails trying to offer a course or product to buy, how do you stand out or build trust that you have a quality course for them?
- How does someone grow their audience?
- What are your views of joint ventures?
- Why did you create Info Video Hero?