I had the privilege of attending FinCon in Charlotte, North Carolina recently. And while this conference is primarily for those in the financial industry, I loved attending. I share my thoughts and takeaways. I also was able to interview 6 people at FinCon who have online courses or membership sites and they gave a favorite tip and tool that they use in their online courses.
What I loved about attending FinCon
- It is the most well run conference I’ve attended
- Everyone is willing and wanting to help
- It’s a great place to meet awesome people
- I got to listen to and meet people like Pat Flynn, Jeff Goins, Noah Kagen of AppSumo, Chase Reeves of Fizzle, Grant Baldwin and learn from many other awesome speakers.
- The organizer actually recommended to skip the sessions and network the entire time
- I was glad to see many people are creating online courses and got to interview a few of them for this podcast and I lined up some people you may know, with large audiences to talk about their successes with their online courses
- I was amazed at how many people want to create an online course and I was inundated with questions about the tech, strategies and marketing of online courses. I plan on addressing these questions in coming podcasts…so subscribe to the podcast and stay tuned
Registration is simple and the more you share it out, the more chances you have to win! I would be honored if you were my guest to FinCon 2016.
The 5 types of online courses that you may want to consider
While there are many different types of courses that you can create for your audience (I like to call them students), these 5 items below are some options I like to start off with when I’m coaching someone who wants to create an online course. I go more in depth in the podcast, so listen and think if one of these would work well for your students.
- Email driven course where they sign up and get dripped content over time.
- A short self study online course that focusses on one area from start to finish. The benefit is that it’s short and actionable. People are willing to pay for a short course that solves one problem.
- A screencast walkthrough of software, presentation or other content.
- A video driven course with you on camera, powerpoint slides, pdf downloads, Facebook private group, monthly webinars. Include multiple tiers with more items added to the course with each increased paid tier.
- A certification course – create content where students walk through the course, get help from you, are awarded points and badges for each module they complete and are awarded with a certificate at the end.
Tips and Tools for Online Course and Membership Site Creators from FinCon
Click to Register to win a *FREE FinCon 2016 ticket (contest is closed)
Brian is a serial Entrepreneur. He loves to start, run, and invest in small businesses. With experience in online marketing, sales, and corporate finance, he wears many hats! Currently, he runs Hyperion Financial Group, an online financial publishing company. He also sits on the Board of Betwext.com, a cutting edge text message platform for small business. Brian also invests in and consults with small businesses in a number of different industries. You can reach Brian here.
Kirk Du Plessis
Option Alpha is an online education and coaching platform for investors interested in learning more about the financial markets and derivative options. We provide focused training covering options strategies, risk management, trading psychology, option pricing and portfolio allocation. In addition, we offer a Premium Membership with access to weekly workshops, one on one coaching and video commentary/analysis.
Option Alpha has become one of the industry’s leading options education website with more than 30,000 daily readers. I am responsible for everything from maintaining the business model, revenue strategies, marketing, strategic partnerships with brokers, writing, design, and website development. It’s truly been a passionate entrepreneurial journey.
Gabby helps people build their online teaching business to bring more freedom and opportunity to their lives. Why wait until you’re retired to enjoy life? Create the life you want through a job that works for you.
Steph Halligan is the entrepreneurial cartoonist behind Art To Self. She’s also the creator of You Deserve More, a 7-day course to help freelancers and entrepreneurs charge what they’re worth. Get her free 6-lesson mini course and free scripts for raising your rates at YouDeserveMore.co
David Stein is host of Money For the Rest of Us, a weekly personal finance show. He also runs the Money For the Rest of Us Hub, an online educational platform on money, how it works, and how to invest it. Previously, he was Chief Investment Strategist and Chief Portfolio Strategist at Fund Evaluation Group, a $35 billion institutional investment advisor. At FEG he co-lead the 20 person research team and managed assets for endowments, foundations and financial planners. You can find him at www.moneyfortherestofus.net or on Twitter @jdstein
Deacon Hayes, now a personal finance expert, managed to successfully eliminate his debt in just eighteen months. Having once been overwhelmed by debt himself, Deacon understands first-hand the effects financial strains can place on one’s life and has a passion for helping laypeople rid themselves of debt.
18 months later he has able to pay off all $52,000 and it was truly a liberating feeling. It took a couple of months to sink in, but once he realized that he didn’t have to make those debt payments anymore, the weight was lifted from his shoulders.
They were featured on the US News and World Report which then lead to a live interview in New York City on Fox News. Today he spends his time doing Financial Coaching and speaking at different venues about various topics related to managing money. If you have a question about your financial situation, contact Deacon to help out.